Saucier, Mississippi is a small town in Harrison County with a population of approximately 4,500 people. It is located on the western edge of the county, near the Gulf Coast. The climate in Saucier is warm and humid with temperatures ranging from mild winters to hot and humid summers. The town has a history that dates back to its founding in 1873 when Thomas Saucier purchased land from the Choctaw Indians and began building his homestead. Check whicheverhealth for information about Alligator, Mississippi.
The economy of Saucier is largely based on agriculture with many farms located in the area as well as businesses related to tourism due to its proximity to the Gulf Coast. The town also has several schools including an elementary school, a middle school, and a high school. There are also two private schools located within city limits.
The politics of Saucier are generally conservative, with most residents voting Republican in national elections. The city government consists of a mayor and five-member board of aldermen who are elected by residents every four years.
Saucier has several landmarks that attract visitors from all over Mississippi and beyond including the historic Stuckey House which was built in 1885 and recently restored; the Saucier Community Park which offers hiking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas, and more; and Bayou Pierre which runs through town providing opportunities for fishing and boating.
Males: 662 (50.8%), Females: 641 (49.2%)
Zip code: 39574
Median resident age: 33.7 years
Median household income: $37,000
Median house value: $88,900
Races in Saucier:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.3%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (36.9%), Irish (7.2%), German (7.1%), English (6.1%), French (4.1%), Polish (3.1%).
Elevation: 155 feet
Land area: 7.0 square miles
Saucier, Mississippi is a small rural town located in Harrison County. With a population of around 4,600 people, the town offers a close-knit community and laid-back lifestyle. The median household income is around $40,000 with the median home value being around $127,000. The cost of living in Saucier is quite low compared to other cities in the state of Mississippi. Utilities are very affordable with the average electric bill being around $90 per month and water bills averaging around $48 per month. Groceries are also inexpensive with an average grocery bill of around $100 per week for a family of four. Rent prices are very reasonable as well with the average two-bedroom apartment costing just over $800 per month. Overall, Saucier is an affordable place to live and offers its residents great value for their money.
For population 25 years and over in Saucier
- High school or higher: 70.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.2%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Saucier CDP
- Never married: 24.2%
- Now married: 59.4%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 4.0%
- Divorced: 9.5%
2.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Saucier:
- BILOXI REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; BILOXI, MS)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL AT GULFPORT (about 16 miles; GULFPORT, MS)
- COLUMBIA GARDEN PARK HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; GULFPORT, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Saucier:
- GULFPORT-BILOXI INTL (about 17 miles; GULFPORT, MS; Abbreviation: GPT)
- KEESLER AFB (about 22 miles; BILOXI, MS; Abbreviation: BIX)
- STENNIS INTL (about 28 miles; BAY ST LOUIS, MS; Abbreviation: HSA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Saucier:
- DEAN GRIFFIN MEMORIAL (about 15 miles; WIGGINS, MS; Abbreviation: M24)
- VORTEX (about 17 miles; LONG BEACH, MS; Abbreviation: 35M)
- DIAMONDHEAD (about 26 miles; DIAMONDHEAD, MS; Abbreviation: 66Y)
Amtrak station near Saucier:
- 18 miles: GULFPORT (1419 27TH AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Saucier:
- MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; PERKINSTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 6,329)
- PEARL RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; POPLARVILLE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI (about 40 miles; HATTIESBURG, MS; Full-time enrollment: 12,541)
- JONES COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 67 miles; ELLISVILLE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 4,072)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA (about 67 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,082)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AT NEW ORLEANS (about 74 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,217)
- BISHOP STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 76 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,758)
Public primary/middle schools in Saucier:
- WEST WORTHAM ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE (Students: 1,122; Location: 20199 WEST WORTHAM ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)
- SAUCIER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 508; Location: 24052 FIRST STREET; Grades: KG – 06)