Kent County, Rhode Island is located in the south-eastern corner of the state and is home to a population of 166,516 people. The racial makeup of the county is predominantly white (84.8%), followed by African American (5.7%), Hispanic or Latino (4.6%), Asian (3.1%) and Native American (0.4%). The median age for Kent County is 41 years old with a median household income of $65,482 per year. The poverty rate in Kent County stands at 8%, slightly lower than the state average of 10%. Education levels vary across the county, with 43% having at least some college education and 25% having obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher. The unemployment rate for Kent County stands at 4%, which is well below the state average of 5%. See top counties in Rhode Island.
Kent County is largely rural with over half of its population living outside an urban area; this number has been steadily increasing over the last decade as more people are making their homes in rural parts of Rhode Island. Agriculture continues to be an important part of life in Kent County as it employs 4% of its workforce and contributes to 11% of its total economic output. Other industries that employ residents include manufacturing, healthcare, finance and retail trade; each sector accounts for approximately 10-15% of employment in Kent County. The county also boasts several tourist attractions such as two state parks, numerous museums and art galleries that provide educational experiences for visitors from all over Rhode Island and beyond.
History of Kent County, Rhode Island
Kent County, Rhode Island was formed in 1750, making it one of the oldest counties in the state. It was named after its county seat, the town of Kent. Originally part of Providence County, Kent County was created from parts of Providence and Washington counties by an act of the General Assembly on December 10th, 1750. The county has since been divided into nine cities and towns: Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, Hopkinton, Narragansett, North Kingstown, Richmond, West Greenwich and Westerly.
Throughout its history Kent County has been a major agricultural center for Rhode Island. In the late 1700s it was known for its apple orchards and dairy farms; by the mid-1800s it had become a major producer of vegetables and hay. The industrial revolution brought new industries to Kent County such as paper mills and textile factories; however, these industries began to decline in the early 1900s as new technology made them obsolete. By the mid-1900s manufacturing had all but disappeared from Kent County with tourism becoming a major industry instead.
Today, Kent County is home to 166,516 people who enjoy a diverse economy that includes agriculture, manufacturing, healthcare and retail trade; each sector accounts for approximately 10-15% of employment in Clearfield County. The county also boasts several tourist attractions such as two ski resorts and several museums that provide educational experiences for visitors from all over Pennsylvania and beyond.
Major cities and towns in Kent County, Rhode Island
Kent County, Rhode Island is home to nine cities and towns: Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, Hopkinton, Narragansett, North Kingstown, Richmond, West Greenwich and Westerly. Each of these cities and towns provide unique experiences and attractions that draw in visitors from all over the state.
Coventry is the largest town in Kent County with a population of 35,624. It is home to two state parks – George Washington Management Area and Arcadia Management Area – as well as several historic sites such as the Samuel Gorton House and the Governor Sprague Mansion. Coventry also boasts a vibrant arts scene with galleries such as the Gallery at Coventry Arts Center offering regular exhibitions.
East Greenwich is known for its maritime history; it was founded in 1677 by settlers from Warwick who were looking for better fishing grounds. Today, it is home to several museums such as the East Greenwich Historical Museum that exhibit artifacts from its past. It is also home to a number of restaurants that serve up some of Rhode Island’s favorite dishes such as clam cakes and chowder.
Exeter is known for its farming culture; it has been an agricultural hub since colonial times when it was known for its apple orchards and dairy farms. Today, it remains an important producer of hay and vegetables but has expanded its offerings to include craft breweries, wineries and distilleries that attract visitors from all over Rhode Island.
Hopkinton is a small town with a population of 9,104; however, it boasts numerous attractions including several historic sites such as the Gilbert Stuart Birthplace & Museum which chronicles the life of one of America’s most famous portrait painters. It also boasts two ski resorts – Yawgoo Valley Ski Resort & Water Park and Big Bear Mountain – as well as numerous hiking trails that offer spectacular views of nature’s beauty.
Narragansett is a beachside town that has become increasingly popular in recent years due to its miles-long coastline featuring stunning beaches such as Scarborough State Beach that attract thousands of visitors each year. It also offers numerous restaurants serving up local seafood favorites like lobster rolls and clam cakes along with plenty of shopping opportunities at places like Pier Marketplace Shopping Center or The Towers Shopping Center.
North Kingstown is another beachside town boasting beautiful beaches such as Quonset Point Beach where visitors can go swimming or fishing while admiring stunning views over Narragansett Bay; additionally there are plenty of shopping opportunities at places like Wickford Village Shopping Center or North Kingstown Towne Square Mall where visitors can find just about anything they need for their stay in Kent County.
Richmond offers many attractions including several museums such as Richmond Free Library Museum which chronicles the history of Richmond from colonial times through present day; additionally there are numerous outdoor activities available at places like Richmond Town Forest which features hiking trails perfect for exploring nature’s beauty while admiring views over Narragansett Bay off in the distance.
West Greenwich has become increasingly popular due to its proximity to both Providence (30 minutes away) and Newport (60 minutes away); additionally, there are plenty of outdoor activities available at places like Arcadia Management Area which offers camping areas perfect for weekend getaways while admiring views over beautiful woodlands off in the distance.. Finally, Westerly offers numerous attractions including Misquamicut State Beach which attracts thousands each year due to its miles-long coastline featuring stunning sandy beaches perfect for swimming or sunbathing while admiring views over Block Island Sound off in the distance.
Population in Kent County, Rhode Island
According to Iamaccepted, Kent County, Rhode Island is the smallest county in the state, with a population of only approximately 166,000 people. Despite its small size, Kent County is home to a diverse and vibrant population that reflects the unique history and culture of this small corner of New England.
The majority of Kent County’s population is comprised of white Americans, making up just over 78% of the total population. The remaining 22% is made up of various other ethnic groups, including African Americans (6%), Asians (4%), Hispanics/Latinos (7%), and Native Americans (1%). This diversity has been increasing in recent years as more people from different backgrounds have moved into the area.
The largest city in Kent County is Warwick, which has an estimated population of 82,672 people as of 2020. The second largest city is East Greenwich with an estimated population of 13,225 people. Other smaller cities within Kent County include Coventry (11,907), West Warwick (29,848), and West Greenwich (5,843).
In addition to these cities there are several unincorporated villages spread throughout the county such as Shannock and Carolina. These towns have populations ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand people each and provide a unique atmosphere that can’t be found anywhere else in Rhode Island or even New England for that matter.
Kent County has seen steady growth over the past decade with its population increasing by 4% since 2010. This growth has been driven by new businesses moving into the area as well as an influx of young professionals looking for affordable housing options close to Providence or Newport. With its charming coastal towns and picturesque countryside setting it’s no wonder why so many people are choosing to make Kent County their home.